Macaulay; heard of him? Not the actor who played the lead protagonist in Home Alone. Thomas B Macaulay of the East India Company in late 18th century? The Battle of Palassey, Siraj-ud-daula, Mir Jafar, Lord Macaulay, recalled? Okay, I am not trying to quiz you on British Raj or Colonialism or historical defectors; rather wanted to state some observations, rather remarks made by our Colonial rulers.
Lord Thomas B Macaulay, according to history, played a crucial role in deforming Indian Criminal Code as well as Educational Policy. But as the years passed by, he grew infamous for making derogatory remarks about the Indians, particularly, the Bongs.
So what did he say that I want to say?
"Whatever the Bengali does he does languidly. His favorite pursuits are sedentary. He shrinks from bodily exertion; and though voluble in dispute and singularly pertinacious in the war of chicane he seldom engages in personal conflict and scarcely ever enlists as a soldiers. There never perhaps existed a people so thoroughly fitted by habit for a foreign yoke." - Mrinalini Sinha, "Colonial Masculinity"
When he said that, he meant this:
"What the horns are to a buffalo... deceit is to the Bengali. Large promises, smooth excuses, elaborate tissues of circumstantial falsehood, chicanery, perjury, forgery, are the weapons, offensive and defensive of the people of the Lower Ganges" Courtesy - Dhoomketu, 22nd Floor
Why these thoughts?
Because after a stupendously unproductive day, I am wondering if I have internalized all those stuff that Macaulay (and others) had said about my Bong Brethren! Was this the secret power of the Westerners that they were able to convince their Colonial subjects to take on the very stereotypical qualities that they wished them to have; powers so strong to have lasted even on the pseudo-Bongs like me that too after more than 200 years?
Ever since I read the The Alchemist, I felt inspired by its underlying philosophy. When you want something, all the Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it. Really? The Universe already conspired and ensured that I too be duped by this secret Westerner power even before I was born and dreamed of wanting something!
I am sure, by now anybody, especially a Bong, who reads this, will have better excuses for not studying or doing any productive work! I am not advocating procrastination rather I am a remorseful victim of the thief who steals away my time, slowly, silently and at times even after acknowledging.
The more I think about it the more I realize; Procrastination is a necessary evil. Anybody who thinks they can catch hold of this thief are on a vain pursuit. All great men have been procrastinators. Difference? They were good procrastinators and I am a bad one. They knew what to procrastinate on and what not to. While it is easy to be motivated but it is really difficult to tame the vagabond of your mind. While I was in the midst of a Zeigarnik Effect to finish mindless tasks like browsing Youtube and indulging in social voyeurism like Facebook, I came across this video on productivity, kind of gives a scientific explanation for lethargy!
Whatever be the case, sooner or later we all have to eat that frog. Whether we want to gulp it down the throat or relish it, our choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment